Prior to embarking on the Master Key Experience (MKE) I would listen to Earl Nightingale’s “The Strangest secret”. While I can’t quite remember when I stumbled upon this priceless gem, I can say it was this very recording that gave me a peace of mind when I felt stuck financially. So when I learned that “The Strangest Secret” was part of the Master Key Experience I was not surprised because in this recording, Earl provides plenty of food for thought that are directly related to the main concepts in the MKE.
Like Earl, I too wanted to know the difference in the mindset between a self made rich person and a poor one. Why is it that most people remain stagnant while some elevate and live a life of great abundance. He discovered and eloquently points out that only 5 out of 100 people will be financially secure in one of the richest counties in the world, America.
Why is it that only 5% achieve success? What is success anyway? According to Earl, “Success is the progressive realization of a worthy ideal. If a man is working towards a predetermined goal and he knows where he is going, that man is a success”. A successful person is the person who is doing a predetermined job, because it is what they wanted to do deliberately.
Earl observed those who are successful continue to succeed and those who fail continue to fail because of goal(s) or the lack thereof. “People with goals succeed because they know where they are going”. The successful don’t compete, they create while the people who fail financially conform to the 95%.The key to success and failure is “We Become What We Think About”.
I listened to 2 versions of the Strangest Secret, a 19min version and the 31 minutes one. In both versions Earl asks a few questions many don’t think about. In the 19 minute recording he surveyed; What are you doing at the present time to increase your income now? How much money are you planning to be worth at age 65? In the 31 minute version he asks; Why do you work? What is the secret to success? Prior to listening to the recording I didn’t give those questions any thought. Like many I conformed and didn’t have answers. Prior to the Master Key Experience, I would listen to Earl’s recording, answer the questions and stop, only to repeat the cycle. The cycle of being stuck, listening to the recording, temporary feeling encouraged with positive thoughts only to fall right back in the same slump.
He also points out in the 19 Minute recording that the people who are financially stable don’t have more talent, brains or luck than you and I. The only difference comes down to making the decision to be financially stable. Without the decision to be financially stable there is no motivation to find the rules to financial success. Then he points out that we are all self made but only the successful will admit it. That statement is so real; when I was at a low point in my life and I heard Earl say that it was a big, hard pill to swallow and I needed to hear that truth to make a shift.
Earl states, “Our rewards in life are in exact proportion to the service/ contribution” and provides the formula (in the 19 Minute recording). The two rules to this formula is to use your brain and have a good attitude.
1- Use your brain AKA The Goldmine -The key to success is in your mind
- One should think deliberately and with a purpose
- Get up earlier, write your financial goal on top of a clean sheet of paper
- Think of ways to increase your contribution, your service
- Write down 5 ideas daily
- Stay within your line of work (specialized knowledge)
- Have a sense of expectancy
2- Attitude – You can alter your life with an attitude of mind;
- We become what we think about!
- Act like the person you wish to become – be the person who already achieved what you want in the way you walk, talk and dress. If practiced long enough, the law of cause and effect will activate
- Take your time with success and keep a great attitude
In the 31 minute recording he naturally provides more detail so here is the breakdown.
He explains that we can achieve nothing without paying the price and the results will depend on your effort. So what is that price?
1 – You will become what you think about
- We must control our thoughts to control our lives.
- Understand, as we sow, so shall we reap.
2- Cut away all fetters from the mind permitting it soar
- Realize that all of your limitations are self imposed and the opportunities are enormous beyond belief.
- Rise above narrow mindedness, pettiness and prejudice.
3- Use your courage to force yourself to think positively on your problem,
- Set a definite and clearly defined goal,
- Think of goal from all possible angles
- Let your imagination speculate freely on many different possible solutions
- Refuse to believe that there are any circumstances sufficiently strong to defeat you on the accomplishment of your purpose.
- Act promptly and decisively when your course is clear
- Keep constantly aware that you are standing in the middle of your own acres of diamonds
4- Save at least 10% of every dollar that you earn
- Know that your job has enormous possibilities if you are willing to pay the price
5- Take action, ideas are worthless unless you act on them.
Earl also points out that there are two things that can be said about everyone. Each of us wants something and each of us is afraid of something. He proposes a 30 day test.
The 30 day Test
1 – Write on a card, what is it you want more than anything else. I.E More money, double your income, a specific amount of money, a beautiful home or a harmonious life.
- Write a specific, single and clearly defined goal
- Look at the card in the morning and think of it in a cheerful, relaxed and positive way.
- Look at the card at any chance you get, as many times possible throughout the day and just before going to bed at night.
- As you look at that card, remember, that we become what we think about and since you are thinking about your goal, it is yours.
- Look for abundance throughout your day as you go about your daily business and know to have a right to be abundant.
2- Stop thinking about what you fear
- Replace fearful thoughts with your positive worthwhile goal
- Take control of your mind,
- Note: If a negative thought creeps in you must restart the 30 day test.
- Do more than you have to do knowing your returns in life are in direct proportion to what you give.
- Don’t think about how you will achieve your goal.
- You just need to know where you are going and the answers will come to you on its own accord and at the right time.
- Do your best
- Act as it was impossible to fail
3- Flip the card and write the quote from the sermon on the mount
“Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye. shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh. findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.”
- Keep your inspiration at its peak
- Don’t worry and keep your goal before you
- Keep calm and cheerful
- Listen to the recording often to learn what must be done to form these new habits
- Be of service, build, work, dream, create and abundance will come
- Your success will be measured by the quality and quantity of the service you render
In conclusion I believe that Earl Nightingales’ strangest secret is a blessing and I intend to break the cycle and complete the 30 day challenge. I challenge you to do the same.